Monday, November 24, 2008

Q2 Outside Reading #2

In the Beginning of this memoir we see that Sean Wilsey lives a privilege life but in one day all of that would be nothing but a memory. Now after his parents divorce Sean is feeling responsible and recalls; “ we go into her bedroom and watch T. V. I sleep in her bed that night, making sure she doesn’t change her mind. Somehow, I realize the next morning, over the course of the night responsibility for her life has been given to me. From now on I must save her from killing herself; ad I must save myself by saving her with my love, but also by never getting too close and saving/being myself with sarcasm. And this paradox rules my life, every other week” ( Wilsey 102). Sean is feeling the burden of the divorce, he feels like the responsibility of his mother was given to him with no questions asked. It is fascinating and saddening to read about this double-sided life. I also find it interesting that while Sean’s family was exceptionally rich they were also generous; “ when she was married to dad she was profligate in her generosity, regularly making outrageous gestures of kindness, such as adopting an entire Appalachian school” ( Wilsey 103). Through his writing we find that Sean was favorable/ biased to his mother he would always talk about her in generous and ardent hearted ways. I am excited to keep reading and find out what else Sean ha in store. 

Wisley, Sean. Oh The Glory Of It All. New York, NY : Penguin Books, 2006.

2 comments:

christina said...

Wow this book sounds really cool, but really sad at the same time. Your first quote was very intense and vivid. It made me thing rediculously hard. He seems so distrought and is stuggling with so much. The confusion he is feeling only seems half described. His quote is very sad but very real. It seems like someone is actually feeling it and trying his best to explain what much be difficult to say in words.

Sara A.'s EE10 Blog said...

Wow. This sounds like such an interesting but sad book. I loved your opening line. It really sets a strong mood for the book. Also, you're first quote is very good. It really shows the condition the mom is in and how her son must strive to keep her alive. This also really shows what divorce can do to people. This sounds like such a great book and I would love to read it and I'm looking forward to reading your other blog posts about the book!